We at Old Mutual Global Investors would like to see you at your very best; therefore it is essential you take into account our interview tips.
Step 1 – preparation:
The importance of preparation cannot be stressed enough - it is essential for a successful interview. The better prepared you are, the more confident you’ll be.
Step 2 - The interview:
Making the right first impression:
- Arrive on time or a few minutes early. Late arrival for an interview is inexcusable
- Greet the interviewer by his or her name
- Follow the interviewer's lead; let them set the tone of the interview.
- Shake hands firmly.
- Wait until you are offered a chair before sitting
- Sit upright in your chair and look alert and interested at all times
- Be a good listener as well as a good talker
- Smile and maintain eye contact
- If there is more than one interviewer, maintain eye contact with the person asking the question.
Competency based interview:
- In this style of interview we are looking for you to discuss relevant examples of things that you have actually done rather than theorise about what may be done in a given situation.
- Competency based questions tend to work in the following way:
- Situation and Constraints
- What you did
- Why you did it that way
- Who else was involved
- What you achieved.
Reasons for not asking you back:
- Appearance: Many candidates do not consider their appearance as much as they should. First impressions are often made very quickly, often within the first three to five seconds of an interaction.
- Lack of research: It's obvious when candidates haven’t researched the position, OMGI or the Asset Management industry prior to the interview. Have a look around our website to learn more about us and do some research on us.
- Not having questions to ask: Asking questions demonstrates your interest in the company and the position. Prepare a list of questions in advance.